Struggling with SubVersion

After some twittering with Mark Waterous, we decided that I probably had an out of date version of SVN. This is not a surprise. My server is CentOS, and they have this weird ‘core’ plugin repository that basically says ‘whatever version of a package we release your OS with is the version you get’. It took some heavy lifting and a stern conversation with yum that I do too want to use rpmforge as a source, but I finally upgraded everything to version 1.4.6 (previously I was on 1.1.x).

And what happened when I tried to reactivate mod_dav_svn

Same damn error!
API module structure 'dav_svn_module' in file /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_dav_svn.so is garbled - expected signature 41503232 but saw 41503230 - perhaps this is not an Apache module DSO, or was compiled for a different Apache version?

I took a step back and decided to make sure SubVersion really was working on my server. After a couple hours of wrangling, I determined it was. In fact, it’s working fine. For a while I had svnserve running and you could see it up on a website. But it still wouldn’t let me check in or out files from my PC at work (I had to do it all via command line on the server). That’s not what I want.

So why won’t dav_svn work? No idea. Mark implied it’s CentOS and I’m inclined to agree. Everything else works. Not that I really have a thing against CentOS, but Red Hat (and it is Red Hat) has been weird ever since they released their IPO a decade back. Lost their street cred, I suppose.

Mark’s suggestion:

Pain in the butt, but uninstall current, try mod_dav_svn-1.4.6-0.1.e14.rf.i1386, then 1.3.2, then 1.2.1, see if any work?

Thankfully, installing older packages in yum is pretty easy. It’s just yum install mod_dav_svn-1.4.6-0.1.el4.rf.i386 and done. Except I got this:

---> Package mod_dav_svn.i386 0:1.4.6-0.1.el4.rf set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: subversion = 1.4.6-0.1.el4.rf for package: mod_dav_svn
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: subversion = 1.4.6-0.1.el4.rf is needed by package mod_dav_svn

Basically, subversion and mod_dav_svn have to match for this to work. Now, since I have subversion working, I really don’t want to roll that back. I decided that maybe I just had a bad copy from the repository, so I downloaded SubVersion and installed it manually. This is always fun, but I do it often enough at work that I’m only slightly terrified. This is why I have a managed server, by the way. Since I got the same damn error after a manual install, I decided that something was wrong with my server and mod_dav_svn.

Thankfully there are alternatives!

svnserve is not as ‘pretty’ but it works. I followed the default installation directions and then used Subversion : svnserve over xinetd to get it running. Once I got it running, I was able to point things at svn+ssh://ipstenu.org/svn/repos/ipstenu (which will do you no good, it’s locked to my user ID/password). Now everything downloads and I say sayonara to Google Code!

Next up, I’ll put a WebSVN site up for people to browse my code. If they really want to.

%d bloggers like this: